That's a good question with regard to any kind of camping, ultralite or otherwise.
I like to keep things used often, on my person. My led light a whistle compass (very small) goes on a lanyard around my neck, and then on the ridge line of my hammock/tarp at night. Multitool (leatherman squirt) stays in my pocket as does a mini-bic lighter.
My packs all have big mesh pockets and stuff like first aid/survival, fire starters, etc. stay in thick freezer bags, in those mesh pockets....organized in no more than two bags. Being clear, you can see what you are looking for through the mesh.
My personal pack rule is just like my personal tool rule....use it, then put it back in it's proper place. My camp always looks sparse....nothing stays out of the pack that's not being used. (food being the exception depending on local critters) Cooking stuff gets cleaned and stowed after use.
"Where's my spork?" Try and pack in "units". ALL my cooking junk fits in the pot. Do this enough and you'll find your niche where it comes natural, trip after trip.
I can usually find what I'm looking for in the dark by touch. I wear bifocals and at night, those stay in a tiny bag also hanging from the ridge-line at night. That little bag says there permanently and gets folded up with the shelter...always in it's place.