Bright colors. I now specifically purchase bright colored stuff. I paint florescent orange or green on small dark items.

In spite of this, I left my titanium sporke sitting on a log at the Cirque of the Towers. I usually take a few minutes before putting on my pack to carefully look around the campsite. This time I did not.

When I get water I put the lid in my zip pocket when filling- never just lay it on the ground. Yet a few times I have put it in my shirt pocket and forgot to zip, leaned over, and guess what?

I have left trekking poles after a rest break. I usually notice that something is not quite right fairly soon.

At night all small things I will use go in the mesh tent pocket. When I am in a bivy, all small things go in a small zip bag. Ditty bags only work for me if they are zip closure.

I carry the absolute minimum of items out of the pack when I am on the trail.

Maybe as I get older I should take a check-off list with me! I think the bottom line is simply establishing a camp routine and taking that extra minute to inventory and put things in their place several times a day and have a designated place for everything. Wow, sounds like what I tell my elderly Mom who has early Alzhieimers.