1) I don't find it very hard to get to sleep when backpacking. I usually get to sleep faster but wake up more often while out there. I never really don't get enough sleep, my body goes into outdoors mode and I always seem to be able to feel more awake with less sleep as well as feel less hungry. I'm sure if the noises bother you (which I don't really know how much more noisier it is in the middle of nowhere compared to back home) you could wear ear plugs. It just depends on how comfortable you are having decreased hearing.

2) On this issue, I usually go out and buy some scentless, bio-degradable wet wipes. That alone is usually good enough to get the job done and eliminate any potential problems a few days in. You don't have to use them everytime you happen to go, but they'll get the job done. The ones I buy usually double as body wipes too if any other areas seem to be uncomfortable from being dirty for whatever reason.

3) I've never had the problem of the inside of my tent being overly wet or my bag either. Whe it comes to the sleeping bag, my own suggestion would be to wear more clothing if it makes you cold at night and/or hope your body heat can dry it up. I really don't have any experience with that. As for clothes, socks and stuff like that. I usually dry anything that got wet from rain or river crossings at night in my sleeping bag by putting them next to my body.

4) I would assume he used whatever water he happen to come across or have before/after he refilled. Or, I've done this before myself, he may have dry shaved. Not always comfortable, but it'll get the job done if need be. I usually just let me face go though, lol.

5) I don't usually bathe unless I'm just that dirty(covered in mud or something) or I've just been out that long. Like I said in #1, I usually just use body wipes. Rarely have I gone into a body of water for a swim and never have I used soap if in that water. The only places to really be concerned about cleaning in my opinion are the groin area, armpits, around my eyes, mouth and nose, feet and I usually bring hand sanitizer along for the hands. Pretty much anyplace that would rub and get irritated or any place where germs have easy access my inside, hehe.

Hope this helps.