A lot of people have already made good arguments here, so I won't repeat. I just want to point out that the cottage industries are not a perfect model of non-corporate business. They rely heavily upon massive delivery services that overall move goods much less efficiently (especially to individual customers) than if the products were delivered to local stores. They are also highly dependent on the internet (as is the education that you claim is more pure). The internet is highly dependent on corporate support (or did you think that it was developed for the good of man kind? Nope, first it was a good way for DoD to push around information, later, it was just another way to make money).

Finally I'll point out that there are certain things that only corporations can do. Ever wonder why there are no cottage microprocessor business. Because the big guys keep them down? Nope, its just that sometimes (and this should be more often) a group of people working together can accomplish so much more than by themselves. Not saying that corporations are perfect, or really good at this all the time, but sometimes they do some good.

I'm just wondering where you draw the line. Should Jordan only have sold his book on his website, or only sold it to people that he has actually met face to face, or telephone, or email, or maybe only his friends deserved to have this knowledge, or maybe he should have just kept it to himself?

Maybe what we should do is develope a secret code, so that we can exchange information without just anybody coming and looking at our site.