Quote:
The way I see it, as an educator, I owe it to teach others what I know about lightweight backpacking. As a NOLS instructor, I routinely taught students lighter weight options they could use when their super-heavy course ended. I would actually bring in my LW/UL kits to show them at our final barbecues in Lander. I've tried to do the same for local scout groups and customers in the REI where I work.

as an educater (soon to be) I agree with you. And yet that is my point exactly, they have to come to you for the knowledge and you are happy to share. I likewise am happy to share and people come to me seeking my advise on Bping and I give "seminars' (not at REI though, they never let me give "that" seminar but that is another topic) which is my argument. they seek and not just purchase it. They get shown hands on as well, they had to go through a right of passage.
Also if the mas market is gettign directed to one Ul site then that under cuts the smaller guys.