Chaz

I had to call around quite a bit before I found what I was looking for. I finally found it at an art dealer (they use it for shipping. What I use is 3/16 inch thick by 2 feet wide white packing foam (it normally comes in very long rolls - so you need to find someone willing to cut you a piece). Be sure you get the kind without the slits in it. You want the solid stuff. I believe the slits are so that the packed object breathes - alot of electronic dealers use the slit stuff.

I then tape the edges together with SCOTCH 3710. 3710 has special adhesive that sticks really well to that white foam. You will have to google it - I can't remember my source. But, I did try regular packing tape before figuring out the 3710 and the packing tape does not stick well at all.

At the top of the white foam sleeve I left a 6 inch tab on one side that I use to seal the open end by rolling it over the mat and tucking it into the open end of the sleeve. I also added "wings" to the sides becuase I like to have my arms out of my sleeping bag and they get cold and uncomfortable on the hard ground. The wings are maybe 3 feet long and 8 inches wide and are attached where your arms would lay at your side.

The whole thing weighs 11.5 oz, but some of that weight is offset since it doubles as a sit pad. I can tell you that the whole system is quite comfortable and significantly warmer that the (insulated) pad alone.

I hope that helps.

rionada