Quote:
Are members of the backpacking community really being well served by salespeople in outdoor stores selling stuff this way?

It's hardly fair to single out the backpacking industry. Walk into Best Buy and tell the salesperson you'd like a nice HD home theatre system, or walk into a car dealership and ask for "something sporty." You'll be loaded up with high-margin products of debatable quality and utility -- um, just like going into REI and asking for "everything I need to go backpacking."

So, the answer to your question is an obvious "No." Not sure there's any solution, really. Given the advertising budgets of the major gear manufacturers, and the prevalence of their products in Backpacker Magazine reviews, I seriously doubt that any newbie would feel well served by a salesperson who pointed out the ultralight cottage-industry gear popular in this forum (or suggested making a stove or a tarp or what-have-you). From the perspective of a newbie, bombproof gear seems preferable to lightweight gear.

As for the poles, I find them very helpful at my age. It did take me some time and effort to learn to use them properly. I suspect that the average salesperson does, if asked, attempt to tell the customers how to use them. But it takes some practice and thought while on the trail. (I also notice that my technique starts to slip when I get really tired -- maybe that explains the GC hikers you saw?)