According to the editorial the proposed law is for winter months. Mantadory for those months only. While I agree with many who suggest that the use of the PLB is going to reduce the skill set going up during those months and that the currect or better way to do such a climb is to be PREPARED, there are many that won't take the precautions and will try to do a "fast and light ascent". This action in December cost 3 lives, thousands of dollars to the tax payers, significant time off and loss in pay to the SAR members, families and employers, and the emotional and financial cost to the families involved and the rescuers. Training and responsibility is the answer, but legislating that has proven to be impossible.

I have a PLB and take it with me on solo and all back country trips whether I am with someone else or not. The purpose: My last resort. If I don't pull the cord, then I am dead, not just inconvenieced because of a sprained ankle, but dead. I am not getting out of this without help even if I hunker down and wait out the blizzard or storm or give my ankle an extra day to heal, that won't make a difference. My skills have been aquired over 37 years of outdoor adventure from basic backpacking to climbing to canyoneering to mountaineering. and the first aid training to go with it. Yet I choose to carry a PLB for my family and myself. I have never needed it, nor has a situation come up that I would consider pulling the cord and calling for help. But a simple fall in '94 broke both bones in my R leg, toes were pointing at 4:00, ankle was shattered and I was not going anywhere.
If that had happened in the back country alone or with others who knows what the outcome would have been.

I personnally am for some stronger requirements during the winter months on such climbs and making people take more responsability for themselves in their planning and potential rescue. Even if the climbers themselves don't want to be rescued their families will call in a missing person report and "OBTW they are on ______ mountain. Can you go find them please."

Make the PLB a required item to obtain a permit during those months and have a big deposit and small rental fee. If you use it, its yours. The folks that want to climb will take the proper precautions and be prepared so they don't have to pull the cord, unless they absolutely have to. The rest will simply say no thanks, I will wait till spring, summer or fall. Once again its the small few who don't and will not prepare properly that screw it up for the rest of us who do.
Jim