TB,

Ok, your concern is appreciated as a person who goes solo often myself.

First, if California has a Mountain Lion hunting season, then you'll probably have a hard time seeing one; as they'll be predisposed to avoiding any contact with humans.

The afore-mentioned incident was an anomaly in that the biker was mistaken for other fast moving prey,deer, rabbit, that is a normal part of a M'Lion's diet. The ML probably saw fast movement, biker, out of the corner of it's eye, and it's natural predator instinct (to chase) kicked in, and it nailed the biker. A case of mistaken identity on the part of the ML most likely caused this tradgedy. The fact that critters like to move through areas on paths of least resistance has me believing that deer and other critters frequent the same bike/hike trails that we do. Hence, the ML could have just been lying in wait for a deer to pass and the bike flew by, causing the attack.

I don't know if this was an injured or old ML either, as both situations would've predisposed the ML to preying on whatever it could get.

Wearing a bearbell, and hiking along making enough 'human noise' to be audible within 50 ft of you should have you seeing nothing but wildflowers along the trails. As you mentioned, you'll be above, on the ridgeline, where the ML does'nt waste the effort to get to, since it's prey is at lower elevations.

You could alos take along a stronger light than you normally carry and leave it on all night. bright light and a small pocket radio will keep away most critters, though it might attract a curious bear.

Best you can do is just be aware of your surroundings, and if you see a ML, RUSH IT! Nothing confuses predators like unrational behavior! It'll skee daddle!

Have a fun trip!

Earthling