I have to respond to the last two posters about the Uintas Mtns. I live and do most of my wilderness stuff in the northeast (Upstate NY for the past 20 years), but my one western trip was in the early 70's--an 8 day backpacking trip to the Uintas. We did a big loop, and if I recall correctly, went over the second highest peak in the range (does 11,500 ft. or so sound right?). I don't recall it's name at this point or the names of the spots we hit on the route. Probably wore jeans and cotton t shirts with work boots. I don't even want to guess at how much we must have been carrying for an 8 day trip in pre-lt weight days.

I think we did the trip in August and I still recall climbing through a little bit of snow up that second highest peak. We ate some of the early freeze dried foods, which were absolutely terrible. We also had some good fishermen on the trip, and some of the nights we had fresh trout cooked in foil with liquid margarine if I remember correctly, which was wonderful. It was an incredible experience for me that I still have a special memory for. Thanks for bringing that back a bit.

Gerry Magnes
Schenectady, NY

Gerry Magnes
Schenectady, NY