Some times leash laws make sense. But often they are administratively uniform rules, applied across the board whether they are needed or not.

British Columbia provincial parks abound with signs saying 'no alcohol or pets on beaches' or 'in day use areas'. This is true whether the beach is a heavily used one, or a remote patch of gravel that hardly sees any swimmers.

In most National Parks dogs are prohibited on trails, but in a near by town, dogs are prohibited from grassy picnic areas, but allowed on the trails.

Enforcement also varies widely. I know of a park that was a defacto 'off-leash' area, until someone got frightened by a dog or two and threatened to sue the city. Now the areas close to the street get an occasional patrol, but the backwoods trails are rarely used by anyone except dogs and their owners.

Since you likened leash laws to speed laws, I'll mention one speeding ticket that I got years ago on a Chicago freeway. When I appeared in court, the judge had a whole bunch of us stand up, he welcomed us to the '5 mph over' club, and dismissed our tickets. I obey leash laws in the same spirt as I obey speek limits.

paulj