Originally Posted By DustinV
Those poles look really nice! Do they seem to absorb some of the shock?
Thanks! Because they've got a bit of girth to them, more than they need really, they're harsher than you would expect from bamboo, more so than carbon poles but probably less than aluminum poles. The poles I made for my son are thinner and more flexible, a bit too thin for comfort, but they are extremely light. The heaviest of his pair is around 3 ounces, and yes, they absorb shock nicely.

I converted some cheap, used ski poles last year and just wrapped the handles with bike grip tape that I already had in the garage. Do you think that something thicker like paracord would stay in place?
I remember you working on your ski pole conversion; I think that's really cool! Yes, I definitely think paracord would stay in place if you wrap it right. I wrapped mine the same way fishing rod makers wrap thread to hold eyelets. Both ends of the string end up tucked very tightly under the wraps.

I move up and down the grip so frequently, I don't even have straps, but I do like the idea of the prusik if I were to put them on.
My experience with the prusik attached straps was that they were either too tight to adjust easily, or they slipped in use. The smooth surface of the bamboo and the knobs that flare out between sections make this challenging. Furthermore, the prusiks added extra space between the attachment point and the hand position, so you have to attach them higher. I never tried using a prusik over wraps, just the bare bamboo. They might hold better over the wraps. I hope you try it and report back. There's not really anything to lose, since they are easily removed.