Originally Posted By Bill Kennedy
Alf,

I tried the trailshot, but wound up returning it because it imparted a plastic, vaguely bleach-like taste to the water. I ran about 6 liters through it, and it only reduced it a little. I didn't try anything else. I think it's the squeeze bulb, not the filter itself. Maybe a thorough washing with soap and water, or lemon juice or something would work. Not everyone experiences this according to the reviews. Otherwise, it worked OK, but I only tried it at home. It could use a longer intake hose, with a float on it, but that's easy enough to do if you decide you need to.

I have just received it in the post. I am wondering if MSR sterilise each Trailshot with bleach before they leave the factory? Water at home can have a slightly bleach like taste to it, due to some of the chemicals water companies treat it with, such as Chlorine, used to kill bacteria. They add other chemicals to try and eliminate the taste of the Chlorine (Sulphur Dioxide, as I recall), but it's possible they go they mix wrong on your water supply leaving it tasting slightly of Chlorine? But if that isn't the problem then you have me worried now.