Originally Posted By Alf
The rectangular Esbit tablets perfectly match the shape of the tablet holder on the stove but I found they are not that cheap, so I opted for some cheaper ones made by Strider instead...The Strider ones do not crumble so easily or smell like fish, as the Esbit ones apparently do (according to reviews I have read). And being circular rather than rectangular they are easier to store...One reviewer said they could fit 9 of them in an empty, airtight Berocca tube. 24 tablets weigh less than a small gas canister, so it will help to reduce the volume and pack weight of my cooking kit as well.
Apparently 2 tablets can boil 500ml of water in about 7 minutes, so its not very fast, but I'm hoping the gentler heat should help to reduce the usual problem of hotspots when trying to cook food in Titanium pots with powerful stoves like the BRS, and if it does, then that is a big problem solved. The Esbit stove cost me £13.80 ($19.75)on ebay and 48 Strider tablets cost me £7.36 ($10.53), both with free postage. I noticed that the Esbit tablets are cheaper on your side of the pond so you can probably find better deals on both over there.

Hi Bill, just wanted to update you on the Esbit Ti stove...It came today along with the fuel tablets...The brand name of the tablets is actually Strider, not Striker as I stated before. I have just tested the stove outside using one Strider tablet, my larger 1 litre Ti pot filled with 350ml of water (1 cup), with no lid, and I put the Docooler Ti heat shield around it. Then I lit the tablet, put the pot on top and set my stopwatch going...The water got pretty hot, hot enough for coffee or hot chocolate, and there was steam coming off, but it didn't get anywhere near to boiling...The Tablet burnt for about 12 minutes 17 seconds...Longer than I had imagined it would as it is smaller than an 14 gram Esbit tablet, and they are also supposed to burn for 12 minutes. Looks like I will probably have to use two together to get it to boil. Oh, and noticed no fishy smells at all when it was burning, so the reviews were right.