As I mentioned in another thread, we Pacific Northwesterners (and also those in California and the Rocky Mountain states) have to put up with severe restrictions during fire season, which is much of the summer and early fall. No wood, no alcohol, no esbit/hexamine. Stoves must have an on-off switch and, in a number of jurisdictions, be UL (Underwriters Laboratories) approved. In other words, it's either canister or the much heavier liquid gas or kerosene stove.

A lot of us need a warmer sleeping bag than you use; evidently our climatic conditions are more severe than yours. At higher altitudes here in the Pacific NW, and definitely in the Rockies, even summer nights can get below freezing. By late August, nights can get down into the low 20s F (such as -5C) in the NW and into the teens in the Rockies. By late September, temps here in the Cascades can get down to the mid-teens F (~ -9C). By that time, I'm wearing all the insulated clothing I own (with a vapor barrier under the insulated clothing) inside my WM Ultralite, sleeping on an Exped Downmat, and still feeling a bit chilly. For many of us, a good night's sleep is far more important than a few extra ounces of weight!

Of course the price of down has soared, and in the 13 years since I bought it, the price of my beloved WM Ultralite has increased 50%. However, I still think it's worth it. The draft collar feature alone has kept me warm on nights much colder than the bag's comfort rating.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/17/18 12:42 PM)