Tilia makes a very good vacuum sealer, marketed under Foodsaver. The sealing feature and vacuum can be used separately. My strip burned out and I haven't replaced it. My sister had the same issue and thinks that although the appliance is touted for resealing mylar chip bags, doing so may a big factor in the strip burning out. The same company makes a hand-held vacuum unit that can be used on jars, and specially made plastic bags. Ziploc makes a vacuum kit that uses a syringe-like hand pump for its line of specialty plastic bags. While the bags have lost the vacuum in my experience, I really like the little hand pump. It works on jars, not just bags, is simple, QUIET, inexpensive, and extremely portable. I keep one with my (car)camping gear and really appreciate not needing electricity to use it.

In case you haven't seen any, a lot of info is available concerning sealing repurposed jars that have a rubber seal built into the lid. (Try food-preserving@yahoogroups.com,or similar plus prepper info on You tube.) Peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, and other foods may be packaged this way. Clean the jars and lids thoroughly, punch a small hole near the center of the lid, place a tiny piece of black rubbery electrician tape over the hole, and vacuum. The tape should be attached except for one lifted corner that just allows air to be sucked out of the jar. Store batches dehydrated food in jars, pour out some as needed before a trip, and reseal the jar for another trip. I've had great luck with that Ziploc sealer as well as the hand pump. For individual meals assembled right before a trip, I usually just suck out as much air as possible through a straw and seal my bags with a clothes iron.

Wgiles, IIRC, posted next that he uses plain quick oats with hot water and waits a bit. I think he is correct about this, too. My kids used to eat them right from the box with cold milk. I like his add-in suggestions, too.

You may be happy with your own "recipe" for a breakfast porridge. Do remember that the more a food is mechanically broken down (like smoothies or regrinding oats) makes the food easier and faster to digest. If you need quick energy, great, but if you want a more sustained full feeling, it is not so good.

I've read also that coconut flour can be mixed with cold milk (choice of types) as a "porridge." My digestive system appears to better cooked. I may experiment with this more at home to avoid unpleasant surprises on the trail. Wheat bran HAS to be cooked for me. The first may help some who need to avoid gluten or just want some variety, the second is target to low carbers and those whose system just sucks too much water out of their food before elimination. Corn meal as mush, polenta, or grits is another hot or cooked and chilled cereal possibility. Quaker makes instant grits. Pricey, but convenient.