Good idea. I've thought of using the "original" flavor (plain instant oatmeal) and adding to it, but I have no idea what spices would be appropriate. I've added raisins to some of the other flavors and it wasn't bad.

I do like the Quaker "Real Medley" instant oatmeal, particularly the "Summer Berry Medley," but they're more expensive and need to be repackaged, depending on length of trip. "Nature's Path" brand is pretty good, too. Both have larger portions than the regular Quaker instant.

I didn't realize that dried milk can go rancid. Good to know. I want to buy a vacuum sealer...I had a cheap one, but it quit working and I didn't like the fact that it couldn't be used without the vacuum. Ideally, it would be nice to be able to control the amount of vacuum. Any recommendations?

Also good to know about the canned shrimp. I tried dehydrating canned chicken, and it wasn't too bad, but still a little chewy.