MYO backcountry meals are very likely to cost far less than commercially prepared. Most of the latter may as well be restaurant (OK, diner) meals, considering the prices.

I'm a bit on the weird side. I package individual meals in cleaned mylar snack bags, air expressed or sucked out as much as possible, and sealed with a clothes iron. Been expounding on this one for at least 15 years. Mylar bags are lighter, plus more vapor and puncture resistant. I collected them from kids in the lunch room when I worked at a school. Now I just splurge on a club package of chips and save those bags. The air popped corn or baked chip bags are far easier to clean than their greasy cousins. These bags hold up to boiling water (just to cover the food) being dumped into them. I've even added the hot water and later decided that the food could use more cooking,then put the whole bag into my cook pot. One can always add a bit more water if needed, and I'm OK if my food is a little soupier than the original. By mealtime, I can use extra hydration however it comes.

See what works for you. Bulk packaging of staples may save weight and space on the trail as well as home. For shorter trips, though, individual meals that require licking and sanitizing my spoon as clean up are "da bomb."