I've been starting to look into heading to Yosemite this fall if my brother isn't interest in Zion this year. I was wondering if you guys might be able to educate me a little about the area.

I'm interested in knowing what/if there are any requirements for back country camping. I will need a campground to stay at before I start as well to acclimate and to possible set out drops. Where are some good base camp sites, how hard is it to get a site, are their reservations? How far in Advance do I need? Can I camp anywhere in the backcountry or is their designated sites?

I'm looking a for a hike around 5-6 days. I will be going solo, so if it's not a loop I will need some kind of shuttle to stage my car. Are their any companies I can look into?

I understand I will need a bear canister? I have a katabatic gear palisade 30 degree back and a thermarest xlite. I sleep cold, would this be sufficient? I will be using a copper spur ul1 and some light weight wool base layers.

It's a lot to ask I know. Since this is my first trip there, I just don't want to show up not knowing where I can sleep at the very least. If this trip goes well, I plan on spending more time there and eventually doing the JMT.

Thanks for any help.

Ps, dumb question but how do you go about setting a tent in the rain? Assuming ground is decent enough.