PS A few years back, while hiking a segment of the Wonderland Trail in Mt Rainier, I met a guy who had what I guess would be considered one of those "hiking carts". a homemade one and surely illegal. I don't remember exactly how it worked. It was clever but also hokey, kind of like a dolly, and I wondered if he was going to make it all the way without it breaking. When necessary, he explained he could tilt it differently and use the attached pieces of skis to slide it on snowfields.
He was a likeable coot. He was planning on doing all 93 miles in 4 days. He complained about meeting a guy who was trying to do it in 3 days, which he thought was too fast. Said he thought it was ridiculous that the guy wouldn't even stop to have lunch with him in Longmire. Of course, I thought it was ridiculous that neither would stop to take an afternoon nap with me amongst a field of avalanche lily while watching marmots box and clouds swirl.
In the future, I may have to be sure to keep an eye open that I don't get run over by mountain bikes and hiking carts when I take those naps.