Thanks Oregon Mouse, not sure what I did to get him into the outdoor other than genetics.

Thanks for the info. My day pack is at least semi framed. It has a rigid back plate, but I am not sure if it would count as fully framed though. Its one of the Deuter cycling/walking/running/do it all packs.

I will be getting a jogging stroller as I do plan on taking him running with me, there are some good tow paths and armoured walking trails near me.

It seems that I need to be looking for something with a more serious frame. Even with my 70l camping back pack I struggle to get the weight onto my hips. I am likely adjusting something to the wrong ideal, but in order to keep the top of the pack from swinging backwards I pull the straps reasonably tight, which then has the effect of pulling the hip belt up to being a waist belt. This is also the effect I get on my day pack too. Is there a good guide in what you are looking for in the adjustments? I am quite skinny so don't have much hip to balance on.

Just to be make the search a little more fun, there is an 8 inch height difference between my wife and me, and I have a long torso. so the plan of having a kiddie carrier that works for both of us may have to go out the window.