Some packs have interchangeable hip belts. I find that I need an x-small hip belt but a medium (woman's) pack. Ask if you can do this.

I think you need to do more than just load it up with your gear in the store. Take it home, walk around the house for hours. Leave all the tags on the pack so you can return it. I have had packs that fit well at first but after 2 hours on my back, hurt.

I backpack a LOT, and have 2-3 different packs. One pack simply does not do it all. No sense carrying a pack that can carry 50 pounds on a shorter trip. And when I do have to carry 50 pounds I want a really good suspension. I have to do the extra weight when I take out kids or other family members who need help carrying the weight. Also if I do a 14-day trip I need to use my "load hauler"- my old Kelty external frame.

Are you ever going to backpack where you are required to carry a bear can? Many light weight packs do not accommodate a bear can, without it taking up all the space.

If you do a lot of backpacking you will likely end up with several. Nothing wrong with that.

My experience is also that the light weight suspension systems break down over time. So my light packs have to be replaced every 2-3 years or so. I also do a lot of off-trail bushwhacking- very hard on packs. But I look at a pack purchase same as my shoes - if it fits and works, so be it if it wears out in 2 years. I quit buying "bombproof" gear years ago. Usually too heavy and there is so much advancement in design that I really prefer to buy a new pack every 2-5 years. My shoes barely make it one season.