I've been having trouble finding the right fit for a rain jacket. For the past two months I've been casually having a look for a rain jacket without success. I've seen a few that I like but usually I have problems with the fit either being just right but tight around the shoulders or either being too big or too small.

I'm 5'7, athletic with broad shoulders. Sometimes with the large size it will seem just right but a bit short, my shirts always stick out from the bottom. The sleeves are just right but go up about an inch when I extend my arms, which doesn't bother me but I don't know if that's how these are supposed to fit.
The Xl jackets fit better but usually seem baggy and the sleeves are quite long. They all have adjustable cuffs so the long sleeves don't really get in the way but it still feels weird to me with the larger size.

Staff at local stores aren't helpful at all, they say the small ones fit well and say the same thing about the larger ones and keep nudging me to buy.

I don't have much experience with this type of gear so I would like to get some info and advice on the sizing and fit before I decide on which to get.