I hope that we've at least demonstrated that sleeping styles are almost as individual as shoe fit, so we each need to work out what works the best for each of us as individuals.

For those starting out or getting a new pad, several nights on the floor at home, while the pad is still returnable as new, are a good idea. However, don't get too carried away with features like light weight (which caused me to keep the original NeoAir long after it was responsible for a number of sleepless nights). I finally determined that I don't do well with pads having horizontal air chambers. I spent much of my nights trying to climb back on after the NeoAir "bucked me off" every time I turned over. Obviously, a lot of folks like the various configurations of NeoAir, so it's truly a case of YMMV, HYOH. For me, I need a pad with vertical air chambers and with the outer ones slightly higher than the others (why Exped works for me) so I don't roll off whenI turn over, which I do frequently during the night.

Also, as Brian points out, if you want a nice thick cushy pad, and especially if you also want a thick pillow, make sure there's enough clearance at the head end of your tent so you don't brush against the tent when you sit up. Also, the closer your head is to the tent roof, the more condensation you'll get there, since the main moisture source in the tent is your exhaling.

All this demonstrates that you should be looking at your sleep system as a coordinated whole, not at tent, pad, and sleeping bag as individual items! It took a long time for me to figure that one out!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/27/16 02:58 PM)