Hi, Daisy:

I'm not sure we really disagree (my comments are italicized):

1. There are plenty of self-inflatables (with an extra puff needed to fully inflate) that are well under 2 inches. My prolite is not even an inch. I think I said the same thing, that self-inflating pads tend to be thinner than inflatable mattresses. If I didn't, that's what I meant to say.

2. Full length is not needed. I have an X-small prolite (8 oz) that I lay on shoulders to hips. I use my backpack with stuff sack of extra clothing for a pillow. I then use a 2x2 foam for my feet. (see next item) Again, I fully agree - that (and better compatibility with a chair) is one of the criteria I'll be evaluating - a short pad with pack under my legs. I never used a full-length pad until I started using the inflatable NeoAir pads.

3. Why one or the other? Why not both? I take one (summer)or two (shoulder season) square of blue foam squares (about 2x2 feet), weighing 2 oz each. Total weight with my prolite x-small is 12 oz. The blue pads double as sit pads for camp. When I take two, one goes under the prolite for extra R-factor and the other under my feet. I like this system because I am a fetal curl-up side sleeper and the foot foam can be adjusted at an angle. I like this idea, and will carry a Z-Lite full-length pad if I'm still using a 3/4 pad come winter. I've tried sit-pads, and they work; my own preference is for a chair kit. Please don't read any more into it than a personal preference.

4. The inflatable gives me cushion on my hips and shoulders. Having my feet dangle down a bit does not bother me. The pack rises the head area enough that I need only a very small stuff sack of clothing as a neck pillow. I never had a problem with my feet dangling off a 1" or 1.5" pad, either, especially if my pack was under my feet. A Neoair wasn't too bad, either, but it was noticeable (princess and the pea syndrome?) However, the 3" dangle from a Big Agnes pad was distinctly uncomfortable. As far as a pillow, I usually put my hiking shoes at the head of the tent, butting up against the top of the pad, and - like you - use a small bag of clothing as a pillow, with no problems.

I'm going to go back and re-read my initial post - I may have gotten a bit too flowery, and come across as trying to figure out which type of pad is "right" and which is "wrong." That wasn't my intent - I was just curious if anyone else had tried both types of pads, and decided they liked the "old tech" (which doesn't equate with "low tech") self-inflators better, for whatever personal reasons.

After this little experiment, I may well end up back on a self-inflating pad, using a sit-pad in camp. Or not. smile

Edited by Glenn Roberts (05/27/16 07:25 AM)