I've been having my own debate about rain gear recently, and think I've come to similar conclusions about the real life effectiveness of WPB fabrics and keeping dry. I also have found that the stiff upper lip/grin and bear it method can work pretty well if its mild and not pouring, and actually be more enjoyable than wearing my rain jacket. My rain jacket weighs almost a pound, for something I very rarely use (and don't enjoy using), so I have been thinking about replacing it with something lighter.

I'm starting to lean towards buying something like dry ducks or O2 rainwear for when I truly need something, but worry about long term durability. For those of you who use them, how often do you have to replace them? After 5 uses? 20? I'm not really a big fan of the concept of thinking of things as disposable.

The only other thing I have thought about is buy or make a poncho, but I worry about how effective they would be in a real storm, as opposed to calm rain. Do those of you who use ponchos find them to be enough protection for sideways rain/very windy conditions?