What terrain do you usually backpack/camp in? Trail or off-trail? I post this because all the "advise" we give on this forum comes from our experiences, and each of us have different experiences based on where we backpack.

I am an ex-mountaineer/rock climber, so my trips are primarily off-trail through open high altitude (usually above 10,000 feet, Sierra and Rockies), alpine terrain. That is, once I get up past the timber on the first day where I do appreciate trails when timber/vegetation is thick so I can get above timber faster. I am not a fan of never-ending forests. I like open country and big views. So my "advise" comes from an alpine perspective.

In the winter I do odd-ball coastal backpacking. Early spring and late fall, more vegetated lower elevation hiking where timber and underbrush is thicker, but mostly as "conditioning" trips. Once the high country opens, I am out of the low lands!

I rarely do desert backpacking. The Grand Canyon has been my only desert trip.

After many years of serious winter mountaineering in my youth, I have no desire to get out in winter anymore. Been there, done that. Not interested in sub-zero backpacking in my old age! I will say that snow covered mountain terrain is really beautiful, and glad that I was able to experience it.