I used a staff for years, but finally (at the urging of my daughter) got a pair of trekking poles 12 years ago and have never looked back.

I was amazed at the difference going uphill, downhill and even on the level. They especially help with balance issues on rough ground (an increasing issue as I get older). In fact, I soon started using the poles for exercise walking--they turn an exercise for legs and hips into a whole body exercise somewhat similar to X-C skiing (often called nordic walking).

I have had no problems either with camera or with the dog's leash. It does take some practice, though, as does their proper use. Unfortunately the bible of trekking poles, "Pete's Poles Page," is now dead. Its demise is recent, so I need to look up something with similar information. If anyone finds one with the same detail, please post the link!

If you're not sure, pick up a pair of cheap hiking poles at Costco or Walmart, or a pair of used ski poles at your local thrift shop, and try them out. If you find them useful, look for a good pair.