Originally Posted By OregonMouse
The nearest I have ever used to a mid was the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo, which is a 6-sided sort of half-pyramid. It did very well in Rocky Mountain thunderstorms (my first six days out, it drizzled all day until about 4 pm when a whole series of back-to-back thunderstorms with hail and high wind gusts. seemingly from all directions at once, kept coming through until about 9 pm. It did seem a little more wind resistant than other tents I've used. I sold it because it was too small (not enough room for me and my 75-lb. dog. It was fine for just sleeping, but not when the dog and I were cooped up for several hours on end. I also found that the Lunar Solo had considerably more condensation than other tents I've used, such as the Tarptent Squall II or the Squall Classic once made by Gossamer Gear. I sold the Lunar Solo to phat of this forum in 2010. The last I heard, he's still using it when above timberline in the Canadian Rockies (when in the timber, he hammocks), and he's still finding a few stray golden Labrador hairs inside.

You are the first one providing the real experience, thank you.

Now, of course everybody knows bacpackinglight forum, however you actually cannot post in there unless you paid some petty cash for the privilege to do so. And I am strongly oppose the idea of making money on information and opinion. Communication between people is free.

And yes, all, or I think they were all, reviews were read. But as stated at the first entry, all were "paid for" reviews, besides most were given after a first outing with a tent, and concentrated on fine details such as kind of guy lines or packaged size, while I was rather looking for design of the type, why it is better or worse, what is unique for only that type etc. Another type was given by those who is in business of hiking/travelling, their opinion has zero value because their equipment is not their choice but rather their sponsor, besides they change sponsors so often.

I agree, not getting an info is an info itself. And yes, all tent designs were known for centuries, ok, free standing domes and not so free tunnels were around for 4-5 decades. More to that, I have extended first hand experience of all of them, but tunnels. For example a UL type of a tarp with a bathtub floor and no seeumh mesh sides like above mentioned Duplex, I was using it 30 years ago when it was made out of canvas, not from cuben fiber. So what is new? Material only. All pros and cons are still there. It still light as it does not have a frame, and it still is not very comfortable, because it is single wall, has huge flat side panels flopping in wind and trowing inner condensation all over you. And so on.

Tepees, again, were used by me 30 years ago. But only as winter types, for group of 4 to 6, with a wood stove in the middle. Exactly as natives do, but not having supporting poles on its walls, and using a ski as a center support, and the rest of skies and poles as anchors. And those pyramids had half a meter or taller vertical sides, so there were not so much of covered area waste. And again, since it is a group, it is easier to clear the needed area, cut brushes or move a fallen timber if it is on the way, no rains, only snow to deal with, and so forth. Now, that is going to be totally different, because it is for 2 not for 6, less working hands, 3 season use, rain instead of snow, no wood stove inside. No vertical walls, the tent is too small to incorporate them. All mine theoretical expectations were given at the beginning, I know what I am speaking about, just need to confirm or refute mine thoughts.

Edited by amk (03/18/16 02:49 AM)