I don't hang my food, because I am the world's worst thrower (plus having shoulder arthritis which is exacerbated by throwing motions). Besides, finding the right tree (if any are around) can take forever. I use an Ursack which is tied to the trunk of a tree. In the rare cases in which a canister is required (such as the Olympic NP coast, where a hard sided canister is required, not for bears but for voracious rogue raccoons), I use a canister.

You really don't want food in your tent. First of all, it might attract a passing bear that normally would just go on by. You don't want to be responsible for a bear's learning that tents can have food inside! Second, there are mice and other rodents which can do considerable damage while you sleep. I remember (from many yeats ago) the time I inadvertently pitched my tent over a mouse holeā€¦. Then there are insects, such as ants!

Do note that in some areas, a hard-sided canister is required. In many cases, you can rent canisters in those areas.