There are a lot of choices in the 2 pound +/- a few ounces. Personally, I do not buy new tents until my current one wears out, which my Tarptent Moment (old version) has! So I too am looking for a new tent. A few observations:

Moisture management- single wall tents are lighter but condensation is in the tent with you. If considering a single wall pay close attention to ventilation. You will likely be packing a wet tent most of the time if you hike in an environment where night temperatures regularly fall below dew point and night are calm. In drier, windier conditions single wall tents work very well. If however, your style is to sleep in and not leave until the sun hits your campsite, the tent dries out quickly with a bit of sunshine. Does not work for me because my style is "crack of dawn" hiking.

Advertised tent weights: If camping on rocky terrain, be careful about weight statements. If the floor is fragile enough that you have to use a footprint, that total weight of the tent is not as light as you think. Ditto for stakes and tie-outs. These are not included in most listed tent weights. You may have to buy new tent stakes. The stakes that came with my Tarp Tent broke the first time I used them. My new stakes are slightly heavier but they work.

Bulk- some tents pack down smaller than others. I like to have my tent inside my pack, because I do a lot of off-trail and worry about ripping the tent if it is on the outside. Tent poles are the factor that determines the length of the stuff sack. Also, too small a tent bag is nothing but frustrating - thankfully the Tarp Tent bags are plenty spacious.

Ratings on tent reviews- Those numerical ratings are only valid if the weighting factors they use are exactly your criteria. Weather-worthiness for me is my top criteria. Most of the reviews only attribute 20% of the total numerical rating to this. Equal rating is given to "livability"- a pretty squishy idea that equates having a mesh pocket as rating more livability than staying dry! Take those "reviews" with a grain of salt.

Cost- I would never set an upper limit to considering a tent. Find the tent that works the best. If it is several hundred dollars over your limit, then see if you can find similar features or qualities in a lower priced tent. If patient, you can often find the more expensive tent on sale. In the same concept, do not set a hard and fast weight limit. A pound difference - yes that is significant. A few ounces, not so much.

As for overall weight reduction for backpacking, I find that cutting down on food or water that is carried is easier and cheaper. On a 10-day trip, if I reduce the daily weight of my food by 1 oz, that saves 9-10 ounces at no cost. If you hike where there are lots of water sources, a 3-4 oz Sawyer squeeze filter will save weight if you then do not carry water between water sources.

PS - I am still undecided on my replacement tent. Right now looking at MSR Hubba NX, Tarp Tent DW Moment or Notch and Big Agnes Copper Spur UL (looked at this at REI and did not like the flimsy feeling, but need to determine if that is just my anxiety and not realistic). One big requirement for me is a detachable fly so I can remove the dry tent and shake the fly out separately. I may limp along another season by simply sealing my leaky floor by painting on seam sealer. I have already replaced two tent zippers.