I'm now 80, so getting up and down is a bit more complicated than it used to be, but I still prefer the ground and/or a log or rock, with sit pad, to carrying a chair! Either my pack (during the day) or a tree or log work fine for a back rest. I have used my pack propped up with trekking poles, but I've found that if I move too much I get to start all over with that! I use that setup only when there's no other choice. Sitting on a log or boulder with no back rest works fine too--it is easier to get back on my feet that way.

The length, style, and difficulty of your trip will also make a big difference! One of the posts above mentions a short, base-camp style trip, which of course allows for more "stuff" for those who don't mind the extra weight.

Only you can decide which is better for you--a makeshift "chair" as we chairless folk use, or the extra pack weight of a real chair.

The one caveat about a log or a tree: examine for pitch deposits, first! Also, especially in cattle country, examine the ground before sitting down! laugh