Not the worst practice, but probably don't need to go so high for smaller critters. I also don't bother to counter- balance, as they are very unlikely to chew through a cord wrapped around a tree. I just make sure it's hung down enough where little paws can't reach. In areas with habituated bears, all bets are off. I use a bear can and either hang it, or put it where it can't roll off. I've had a bear play a little soccer with my Garcia. It got bored after a few minutes and moved on. It did leave me some scat as a comment . Not that many areas require bear can use; I've used them in the Eastern High Peaks of the Adirondacks (required) , in the Sierra (required in some areas) and the Great Smoky National Park. I also use them in some areas close to me on backwoods ponds and ridge tops carpeted in blueberries where the bear population is high. Of course, this is just what I have done, and my experience. If it makes you feel better to go the further step, DO IT! Good for the animals, good for your peace of mind.