Originally Posted By BrianLe
Depending on what you're looking for, another option is to print your own USGS maps for free. This is a good site from which to do that:
https://caltopo.com/map.html

USGS maps aren't generally up-to-date, but the underlying landform doesn't change, nor do major infrastructure stuff change too often, such as roads. Trails will sometimes change over time. But apart from the cost factor, it's wonderful to be able to print out a map for a last minute trip without having to get to one of the increasingly rare places where you can buy a map in person, or order online and then wait for your map to arrive.

I also like the fact that, since it cost me nothing more than blank paper and printer ink, I don't worry about "using up" a map sheet. I think that human nature being what it is, the ability to print out maps for free might help us collectively to sometimes bring along the appropriate maps, rather than relying on some combination of luck, signs, other hikers, and/or a gps.

I use caltopo almost exclusively. I like the fact that I can supperimpose the UTM grid at any interval I like directly onto the map. And, it generates a PDF onto an 8.5X11 size paper with a proper scale factor. And, everything BrianLe said. With the UTM grid, I can couple the map with a really cheap gps for pinpoint accuracy.