I went for decades without a sleeping bag compartment and found it not too much of a bother. By the time I was ready to set up, almost everything had to exit the pack anyway, and it generally meant the bag came out last to complete my shelter. I recently purchased an Atmos 50, after the 65 felt like it was pulling me over backwards in the store. I disliked it, but love the 50. I was glad I gave it a second try. Might be psychological or the way I adjusted the 50, rather than a difference in the harness. . I've also talked to others that disliked the fit of the 65. The only time I felt the lack of a separate SB compartment was carrying a bear can. Sometimes, I'd want to access food before setting up, and would have to re-arrange the pack to do so. I learned to just take out food to eat on the trail in the morning and stash it an outside pocket or at the top. I bought the Atmos to haul water to dry camps and handle lots of weight with ease, not because it had the separate compartment. If the Exos fits you well, I think you'll adjust to it quickly. Welcome, and hope this helps. I'm sure you'll get recommendations for other packs besides the Exos, numbers of people here use packs from cottage mfg.s.

Edited by bluefish (02/11/16 11:50 AM)