Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Similar to the hot water bottle concept- you really need to get into the sleeping bag when you are warmed up. I usually do a intense small hike or run around a bit before I jump into the sleeping bag. The sleeping bag is an insulator- not a heater. YOU have to provide the initial heat. Standing out around a fire is really not a good way to warm up - one side will be warm, the back side will be cold.

When my sleeping pad is insufficient, I can really feel the cold from below and it is quite obvious. By the way, I sleep very cold, and my 5-degree bag is perfect for me at 30 degrees. You may want to borrow a similar rated sleeping bag from a friend, and see if it is the bag, the pad or you.

This can't be stressed enough. I teach this to Scouts again, and again... Jog around the campfire or do jumping jacks, something. It could take a full 5 min but usually doesn't. Once you're warm, dress down and get into the bag. You know; too much clothing will not allow for enough air space and you'll be cold then too. Amazing how little clothing you'll need when you find your right combination of pad(s) and bag. Back yard try-outs are a very good idea.