One suggestion is that you find some group that leads backpacking trips for beginners. I've seen such trips led by REI and my local Sierra Club Chapter before. That can help you get a better idea of the types of gear and skills you will need. Nothing like hanging out with a bunch of enthusiastic gearheads and actually seeing their gear in practice to get a good introduction! Also, REI often has short classes on choosing gear, etc which they offer at their stores, and their sales people are generally good at giving advice. Sometimes you can find outdoor local groups through MeetUp (google it) or a local college. You can also rent some gear from REI, which might be nice for test purposes before you go spring the $ to buy it.
Also, consider starting out with shorter easy trips to get you feet wet (and don't use "Wild" or "A Walk in the Woods" as "how-to" guides smile I kind of don't think there are a lot of backpacking options in Iowa where you live, but Missouri has a number of nice shorter options for weekend trips just south of St Louis. That's where I got my start.
Have fun!