Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
What are good brands for backpacks, tents, shoes, clothes, gear, and etc

There are lots of them, and really, a lot of different ways and approaches to backpacking as well. This is a "Lightweight Backpacking" forum so we tend to focus on gear that is not heavy ;), but there's also "Ultra Light" backpacking gear and methods, and those who backpack while hunting might use what could be called "Heavy Weight" gear, and there's Mountaineering, which also has specialized gear. Then, there's warm, cold, and wet weather backpacking that all has gear made especially for those conditions.

If you were only doing 1-3 day trips a small, lightweight frameless backpack like the kind Osprey makes is a good choice, and so are many others, but if you're also doing longer trips you'll need more room for food. So you really have to decide if you want to buy gear that leans towards one of the other, or buy gear especially for both.

Sleeping bags are a good example. If you're going to be camping out in 30º nights you need a warm bag, one that's rated around 20º would be a good place to start looking. But on a 50º night that bag might be downright hot and uncomfortable. That doesn't mean it won't work, it just means it won't be as comfortable.

There's also homemade gear. I use a homemade stove called "Supercat Stove". It's lighter than anything you can buy, and easy and cheap to make, but if you like to cook real food, it may not be the best choice.

I've never actually read a backpacking book. I'm just not all that interested in the trials and tribulations and revelations others have had while backpacking, though I do appreciate why some might.

I've never had any personal trials or spiritual revelations while backpacking. I've been wet, cold, hungry, tired, and sore, but that's about all I can say about it. I pretty much expected that before I went and didn't intend to learn much from it, and didn't.

There are gear list here that will get you started on the essentials and this link should get your started off for most of the rest of what you're looking for.

After you poke around those links I'd offer that you get an inexpensive daypack (like those used by students) and start doing some day hikes, and go find a decent backpack, sleeping bag and tent and do a few 1-2 nighters somewhere that's familiar. Getting out there is really what's important. You don't have to go far or have the best gear because that's really secondary to just being there.

Once you get some experience doing that you'll know what you want for longer trips, and on those what you need is real world experience. Learning how to navigate can be really important on those, so practice that and get comfortable with it.

And have fun!

"You want to go where?"