I found the Petzl e+ lite totally inadequate during an emergency hike out at night last summer. My grandson, who was using my Princeton Tech Aurora, kept having to turn around at every rough section of trail so I could see where to put my feet. That got awfully old awfully fast! It's fine for around camp tasks, but I'll never take the e+ on another trip!

I've had that Princeton Tech headlamp since 2006 and use it constantly--it's my emergency light around the house (wonderful to have a nice bright hands-free lamp for repairs in dim or dark places), I take it with me when driving (if, Lord forbid, you have to change a tire at night, it's really handy), and, of course, on all dayhikes and backpacks. I even used it to spotlight my dog's nails when clipping them. It's also regulated, so (1) I can use the much-longer-lasting lithium batteries and (2) the light stays strong until the batteries die--none of this dimming when the batteries are only half gone. I've had no trouble at all with the elastic. Yes, it weighs 2 oz. more than the e+ light, but it's well worth those extra 2 oz.

At least I've been able to use the leftover e+ light batteries in my digital bathroom scale.

I would skip the hand-held flashlights in favor of a good headlamp. The hands-free option is priceless!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/05/15 01:05 AM)