This is from "The Soldier's Foot and the Military Shoe"

The construction of shoes for civilians is influenced almost wholly by considerations of fashion and style. These are irrational and are changed frequently in the financial interest of the shoe trade. The lasts are devised by persons grossly ignorant of, and quite indifferent to, the structure of the human foot and its physiological requirements as to covering. Shoes built upon them range through every degree of the bizarre and represent the most amazing conceptions of their originators as to the diverse shapes which the human foot should be forced to assume.

It is rare to find in civil life a shoe that even approaches the normal foot in shape and contour. Few manufacturers make them as they are not salable to the general public...

Military boots, especially in modern times, are designed to prevent foot and knee problems. From all the tales of foot problems I see in this forum, I am convinced that today's hiking shoes, trail runners, high top hiking boots, or leather hiking boots are not doing the job.

Maybe military boots are heavier than other choices, but I can almost guarantee I'll walk faster and farther than a person with foot or knee problems caused by their shoes.

It's important to consider the shoes worn when not hiking as even without walking they will shape the feet.