I recommend reading "The Soldier's Foot and the Military Shoe" by Edward Munson. It was written in 1912, but don't be put off by that. He developed the Munson last which is still used today.

When people say "boots" they often mean what I call high top hiking shoes. I say that to distinguish them from substantial leather boots.

I have a pair of Danner Desert TFX G3 8" Tan GTX boots and a pair of Red Wing 8 inch work boots. The work boots are only good for roadwalking.

Between these two boots, I've walked almost 5,000 miles in the last two years. Since then, my bunions have disappeared, my big toe is now separated from the next toe which is supposed to be good. My hammer toes have straightened out.

Like you, my second toe is bigger than my big toe. It never causes a problem in these boots.

These boots seem to last almost indefinitely if you keep the bottoms covered with Gorilla tape.

I also have a pair of New Balance shoes one size too big and if I wear them too much around the house the old problems start to reappear. Same with the Keen shoes I have.

Shoes will shape the feet with small pressures even if not walking.