My wife and I hiked the Wainwright trail (aka "Coast to Coast") trail in northern England a few years ago; I suspect that conditions might be similar, though we had no midges.

For rain, I used a poncho, and was okay overall; depends on how low temps might get, and don't forget wind-blown rain. Having accommodations each night (as you said that you will) indeed takes the pressure off a lot. I found in England that they were well prepared in general to help out soaking wet travelers, typically having some sort of drying room. So while you want to keep weight down, you'll definitely want clothing (to include light footwear) to change into to wear indoors. IMO it doesn't matter all that much if I get pretty wet on occasion if I can dry out every night!

I used quick drying trail runners for this trip. I pretty much always do that. If doing this particular trail again I MIGHT consider high top light goretex boots, as on occasion my low top shoes got wet in the marshy areas when a boot might have kept me dry longer or just all day. In England, at least, it's gospel writ that you put a lot of dry newspaper inside the shoes when leaving them to dry, and that will dry them in the morning. Optionally change the paper out once before bedtime to increase the odds. Having a dry warm room helps a lot of course.

So --- my shoes always definitely dried, but on occasion my feet got wet during the day sooner than they might otherwise have (if at all). Bring, of course, a decent set of wool socks for those times when feet do get wet.

I didn't use nor want rain pants, but many people would have in these conditions. I personally prefer to just get my quick-drying pants wet than to mess with it, unless it's pretty cold.
I think if doing this trail again I might accept the weight penalty to bring my Packa, http://www.thepacka.com/
Are you carrying all of your gear or do you have a car shuttle and, as a result, just a very light day pack? If the latter, it's an easier decision to carry a bit more weight to ward off wet/cold/bugs.