I haven't been there either (I was going in 2001, but due to the foot-and-mouth disease outbreak went to Turkey instead).

However, my favorite blogger, Section Hiker (Philip Werner), went twice to take part in the TGO ("The Great Outdoors") Challenge, a cross-Scotland group hike. Here is his summary of "Gear That Worked and Gear That Didn't." It has a link to his full gear list for 2013 (his second trip). I hope it helps!

You might want to look for other accounts from TGO Challenge participants. They seem to encounter all the possible difficulties! Although I didn't look into them, googling "TGO Challenge" brought up a number of individual reports.

Of course, we'll be breathlessly waiting for a full trip report with photos--lots of them, please!!!

BTW, I was told by a Scot I met in Norway that "midges" are pronounced "mudgies." I'm sure there are less complimentary names, but he wasn't about to reveal them to someone old enough to be his grandma!

MORE, LATER: Look through Chris Townsend's blog for more info.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/16/15 04:08 PM)