Everything depends on fit, fit, fit. That's the overriding criterion. If the shoe doesn't fit your feet, you'll be miserable. Everyone's feet are different, which is why I can't recommend any specific shoe. What fits my feet will undoubtedly not work for you! For the same reason, I don't pay much attention to others' recommendations.

I suggest you try on lots of different models, lots of different brands. When you find a pair that feels good, "hike" around the store (on their carpet) for about an hour with a pack. If the store has a ramp, go up and down it a lot. If not, stand as long as you can on the sloping part of the stool the clerk uses. Do a similar but longer trial at home on your carpet while you can still return the shoes.

Sometimes, even with these precautions, you'll find out down the road that a specific pair of shoes that felt great at the initial try-on doesn't work out for you, and will have to chalk up to experience the expense of donating a relatively new pair of shoes. I've had to do that a number of times. In fact, right now I have two pair of shoes, which felt wonderful out of the box but became painful after about a dozen wearings, in my box to go to Goodwill.

The worst is that many shoe companies completely change their lasts every year or two. (That's what happened with the two pair I'm getting rid of--it was just a slight change in a model I had worn for several years. When you find the perfect shoe, immediately buy several pair!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/16/15 11:51 AM)