Originally Posted By bobito9
I should have remembered: always head for the backcountry, even if it means hauling 50 lbs of water on your back

LOL!

That's been my approach for as long as I could drive. I like car camping, but I have a somewhat different take on the party animals. Personally, I think people need a place to go blow off steam. Some of them will get stupid, but for the most part they take care of each other.

I think there should be places where you can car camp without being invaded by party animals too though.

I'm sure there are places like this elsewhere, but here, people have opened up private parks on some pretty big tracks of land where you can go whoop it up all you want pretty much. They've got 4Wheeler paths and hiking paths and car paths and you can drink and drive and crash all you want. They've got some rules, and security, but from what I've heard you can get pretty stupid for about $35 a night.

Before I left Illinois they had some hard rules at their State Park Campgrounds. It was "Lights out and go to bed" at 10:00pm and they mean it. They'll put your butt in jail if you don't follow the rules. And don't even bring in any beer or wine, much less anything harder. Not even a single beer with lunch. And don't try and sneak it in either, they're watching you. It was pretty miserable.

There are lots of places in the Ozarks where people go blow off steam. For the most part they have their spots and I've learned when not to go there, but there are a lot of great car camping spots here you can have all to yourself a lot of times.

It's been a really long time, but as I recall Joshua Tree has always been a hang out for hard core partiers. I vaguely remember going there once or twice when I was teen years and years ago...

"You want to go where?"