Not really a question...more of an introduction...

Not a NEWBIE to hiking...I've got my experience. 100's of miles on the AT and other WNC trails. Did my time at Philmont in NM, Eagle Scout...HOWEVER...

I just turned 49 in December...all of that was in high school and college (uhummm...30 years ago).

I've been seriously working out for about 6 months. Am down 25 pounds. In better shape than I've been in years. As a family, we have done day hikes for years, but no overnighters.

Well, my college aged son wants to start backpacking. Only thing he wanted for Christmas was an Eno...so, I've made the commitment to start backpacking again with him...he plays college baseball, so fitness is not an issue for him...but we probably won't get to go until after they get knocked out of the NCAA tournament.

That should give me ample time to start rebuilding my gear. I have noticed that gear has changed a bit in the last 30 years! haha

Anyway, I'm going to be looking to you guys for advice on gear and also planning some shorter hike in hike out overnighter's in my area (upstate SC).

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Greg

Edited by scdigger (01/15/15 12:53 PM)