I have had the same experience with Marmot Precip. Totally worthless jacket. My current jacket is not UL, probably not even light. It is a Montbelle, 11 oz (woman's large). It was $100 (no discount or sale). Not cheap but not as expensive as many other "breathables". I wore it this summer in two days of rain, where we hiked in the rain for about 4 hours each day. It worked pretty good. My size is really woman's small, but I buy my rain jackets very over-sized. This seems to reduce the sweating problems.

Unless you are going to be above timber or in really windy conditions, a totally waterproof poncho may work better than a jacket.

And in wet-warm conditions (coastal) I just hike in a very light wool layer under a really minimal rain jacket and pants which actually act as a wet suit. As long as I move I stay warm. I wring out the wool each night and put in a plastic bag and put the wet clothes back on in the morning just before starting out. I have a totally different change of dry clothes, kept in a waterproof stuff sack that I only use in the tent or when it is not raining in camp.

I did 8 days on the Lost Coast this way. No matter what, after about 3 days everything was damp. But the temperature only varied from 55-60 degrees day or night. It rained 4 inches on night! Two days of solid rain. So much dew that even when it did not rain, 10 minutes of walking through waist high grass I was totally soaked. Probably had about 10 minute of sunshine. The thing about the coast, is that it is windy, so you need the rain clothes more as wind protection.

Bottom line: different clothes and different methods for different conditions.