I was forced to look at "different options" when ankle damage due to heavy boots crippled me for a month. Having done mountaineering and backpacking in nothing but heavy boots, I was very dubious. The first year after the injury I put super-feet insoles inside my tennis shoes. It worked, but the tread on the regular tennis shoes was insufficient. Then tennis shoes began to have more aggressive soles - transitioning to trail running shoes. Finally, low cut light-hikers became available, and that is what I use now. I have even used crampons on these shoes. I have periodically tried boots again, but within half a day, I am crippled again. I cannot stand to have anything rubbing on my ankles.

I find that low-cut shoes, with the addition of SuperFeet insoles and gaiters and SmartWool socks, perform almost like boots. I also do mostly off-trail travel. The biggest disadvantage is that low cut shoes will let in water when crossing a stream.

What you wear on your feet is a very individual choice. People's feet vary amazingly in size and shape. Fit is more important than what kind of foot wear it is. I have seen PCT hikers doing the entire route in sandals! Some hikers swear by the "five fingers" - shoes that are like a glove for your feet - individual pockets for each toe.