The general rule is if it's comfortable, wear it.

There are many different types of boots. Most footwear they call boots are high top hiking or running shoes. Then there are the classic hiking boots which are generally uncomfortable.

I have over 3,000 miles in the boots on the right. They are Danner Combat boots.

Let's look at advantages. They are more stable on uneven trails and do prevent ankle turns. More important is the design of the toe box which gives plenty of room for toes to wiggle. Most running/hiking/trail running shoes don't do that.

Shoes designed for running are especially bad as they are also designed to keep the feet from sliding forward. They squeeze the toes to do this and this leads to many long term foot problems. The design of combat boots keeps the feet from sliding forward without squeezing the toes.

These boots are completely waterproof, and it's usually easier to walk through a stream than to find stepping stones. I've never had water come through even after hours of walking in snow. I haven't had the all-day rain experience, but I think they would do fine.

Take a good look at your feet. If there isn't a space between your big toe and the second toe, there is a problem. If you have protrusions on the inside of the wide part of your foot, that's the beginning of bunions. On the outside they are called corns. These are caused by squeezing the toes. If your toes aren't straight, you have been wearing shoes that are too small.

The whole weight thing is a myth. First of all the experiment was done with about six college students with packs weighting 80 pounds and boots weighing up to five pounds apiece.

They completely forgot to look at efficiency. The solid soles of boots gives more rebound than the soft soles of shoes. If I wear running shoes, it feels like I'm walking in sand. This is especially true at the slower pace of hiking on trails.

Combat boots are the only footwear which has been extensively tested and shown not to result in injuries.

Combat boots are cheaper, too. I recently got a pair of Danner boots for $105. But even at $185, they are much cheaper per mile.