Second to billstephenson,

I grew up with work stock, horses, mules, donkeys. What he says is true. One little donkey we had threw me bad (I was breaking him because he was too small for my dad). Dad had me give him an apple, and he followed me around like a puppy.

Also, horses will astound my wife by following me around. I explain that I don't know how they do it, but they follow because they are convinced I have sugar cubes in my pocket. Sure enough, I'm explaining this to my wife and this wonderful old mare is in fact searching my pockets.

Remember that one of the famous civil war generals rode a mule because it was more comfortable for his old bones, and I can confirm that from experience.

Bill is also correct that both donkeys and mules will tend to think things thru more than horses, and can be strong willed. But he is also correct that, like horses, they can sense your experience level, and I swear they laugh when they confound a newbie.

I grew up working a team of horses mostly, and worked cutting ponies one summer, but I have a lot of respect for the strength, good sense, easy ride and loyalty of mules (and except for the ride, of donkeys. The advantage of donkeys is that they are incredibly sure footed and strong for their size and food needs, and seem somehow very good at avoiding snakes.

best, jcp